Cornerstone has extensive experience in hospital construction. We pay special attention to how construction will progress throughout the facility and how it will impact ongoing patient services. We look for alternative methods that are less intrusive for patient care.
- In addition to providing Design/Build and general contracting services we are uniquely qualified to perform life safety “Statement of Conditions” corrections for JCAHO accreditation.
- The team at Cornerstone is intimate with all aspects of the structural and nonstructural performance categories within SB-1953 and SB-1661.
- Cornerstone can assist in creating an effective construction solution with SB-1953 compliance. Our services range from nonstructural to seismic structural retrofit projects.
Cornerstone has both the knowledge and experience needed in working with convalescent, skilled nursing, assisted living and independent living projects.
Our construction services are informed by an in-depth understanding of the special skills needed in dealing with medical and private care facilities.
We are long-standing members of the California Society for Healthcare Engineering (CSHE) and the American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE); our membership is important because it keeps us up-to-date on all the changing regulations and ground-breaking technology as well as new applications. For example, we study and apply:
- All SCAQMD, OSHPD and Joint Commission standards
- As part of our safety program, we have a risk assessment process which includes infection control, Interim Life Safety Measures (ISLM), general safety/security and emergency procedures
- Green building solutions including lowered energy use; even the paints that we use are the lowest VOC available in the market
“Cornerstone Construction Group often works inside hospitals where patients aren’t disturbed by their work. Think of that sort of construction team working at your facility. “Health care is THE most heavily regulated industry in the U.S. (surpassing even nuclear regulatory legislation).”
“When you bring a contractor into a health care environment, they HAVE to comply with many laws; they have to know the laws; and they have to be able to carry on construction or renovation work in areas that are adjacent to or part of an acute care setting (on the other side of the wall are often people fighting for their lives) so the Cornerstone Group has to take into consideration noise, air quality, vibration – they have to know the codes–and they do.”
“Cornerstone has helped facilities pass their accreditation surveys for the Joint Commission. At St. Vincent’s they completed construction projects working in a convent full of elderly cloistered nuns–they really know how to behave themselves with respect and discretion.”
“At Children’s Hospital of Orange, they also provided on-site maintenance people for 3 months to augment the ongoing staff–not all contractors can do that.”
“What is valuable to me is integrity–dealing with Cornerstone Construction Group–the owner and supervisors are respectful and operate with integrity–that is saying a lot. I can’t say that about 80% of the other service providers with whom I’ve worked. Cornerstone’s owner stays current and is in the KNOW around the regulations; he and his team work with minimal or no supervision.”
— Mick Zader, Environmental Therapy Industries (interim management and specialty engineering)